At present, all pupils study either CCEA Double Award Science – Unitised or CCEA Single Award Science.
CCEA Double Award Science
It is taught using a coordinated approach with the Biology Department responsible for the Units B1 and B2, Chemistry responsible for Units C1 and C2 and Physics responsible for Units P1 and P2. Each subject has 3 periods of study per week.
Practical Assessment for Double Award Science is completed in class.
- During the course of study, all pupils will perform prescribed practicals.
- From January to end of April in Year 12, pupils will complete a 1 hour practical assessment in each subject (i.e. one in Biology, one in Chemistry and one in Physics) – Booklet A.
- There is a half hour paper with questions about practical situations at the end of the three unit 2 papers (i.e. at the end of B2, C2 and P2) – Booklet
On the separate links (below) you will find more information on Chemistry, Biology and Physics (with GCSE Information).
Single Award Science
Pupils study Single Award Science for 5 periods per week. They will study Biology, Chemistry and Physics and be awarded one GCSE grade. Pupils will sit modules in the separate sciences at the following times:
- Biology (unit 1) – November of Year 12
- Chemistry (unit 2) – Febuary of Year 12
- Physics (unit 3) – June of Year 12
Practical assessment (unit 4)
- From January to end of April in Year 12, pupils will complete a 2 hour practical assessment, during which they will complete two practicals from the prescribed practical list (Booklet A)
- There is a half hour paper with questions about practical situations in June of Year 12 (Booklet B).
On the separate link below you will find more information on GCSE Single Award Science.